Last year, while sitting around in all of my boring, handicapped splendor, I jotted down some things that I've always wanted to do. I took that a little further by posting a To-Do List on my blog. I guess that way, I could hold myself accountable.
It was about more than just jotting some things down ... it was all about being ABLE to scratch them off.
Traditionally, it's called a 'Bucket List,' but I thought that a 'To-Do List' sounded somehow better -- like there was some sort of urgency to them. I don't want them to just sit in a bucket in anticipation for my passing; I want to them to be present, actionable items.
I just needed to get better.
But now, I have. I still have a pending hip replacement ... which I'm thinking could happen this year. But I'm back on my feet and I've got things To-Do!
I guess you could say that last year lit a fire under my butt and this year, I'm jumping into action.
Why? Because I can, that's why!
- FIRST -- During my recovery I got back in touch with a long lost friend -- my sewing machine. I did a lot of sitting, because for much of my year, it's all I could do. I started experimenting with some fabric children's books. A few weeks ago I had a unique product epiphany and I'm planning to open up my own Etsy shop soon with it. It's something I've always wanted to do. I haven't updated my blog in about two weeks, because I've been so busy trying to get some stuff ready for my store. Stay tuned for more information about that.
- SECOND -- My husband and I are planning a trip to Atlantis in the Bahamas. We're looking online and working out logistics, but it's a MUCH-needed trip for us, and I'll get to knock two things off of my TO-DO List ... swimming with dolphins and going down the big water slide at Atlantis. We also plan to go snorkeling, and we'll probably spend some time in the casino, too. Who knows ... maybe we'll hit the jackpot!
- THIRD -- I've applied to a couple of Master's programs. This one is a little bittersweet, because it's something I really want to do, but I'm not going to lie ... the idea of going back to school worries me a little with working full-time, raising 3 children who are very involved in different activities, and opening up an Etsy store. I definitely want to get my Master's, but I hope it isn't going to send my life into total chaos. Anywho - I've applied and plan to start on a part-time basis at some point this year.
- FOURTH -- We're going to take a hot air balloon ride over the Shenandoah Valley this year!
- FIFTH -- This is more of a hopeful, but not guaranteed. I'm really hoping to publish my 2nd children's book this year. I've been saying that for four years now, but I really hope I can pull it off this year. I published my first children's book in 2007. Since then, I've had two more children and four surgeries. In order to publish a book, I need to have money to publish and the time to promote. And I've been low on money and time lately. But if I managed things better, I could totally do it. It's a great book and I've been wanting to publish it for some time now. For more information about my first short story and activity book for children, visit my author website at www.sissyDscooter.com
In October of last year, I managed to scratch off The Color Run (5K) from my list, which was HUGE for me. In fact, reaching that goal is what inspired me to, not only set, but reach new ones.
It's possible that I could surprise myself and scratch a few other things off of my list - like winning a gold medal at the Lineberry Olympics this summer, or finding a series that I enjoy reading more than the Hunger Games. I might even add some more To-Dos. But only time will tell.
I hope to teach my children to celebrate life -- to set dreams and goals and make them happen -- no matter the circumstance. And I don't mean in a careless YOLO kind-of-way, I'm talking about really experiencing life outside of the hustle and bustle of every day shenanigans.
So, watch out TO-DO List ... I'm coming for you!
I'm going to be a good patient and take my doctor's advice: "Don't Stop Livin'"
"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." -- Phillipians 4:19