Right Hip Revival


It's been 8 days since I had my right hip replaced. With it being my second replacement, I knew what to expect going into surgery.

I was feeling good about surgery, but as the nurse was prepping me before anesthesia, she went through a group of questions. One was: "If you die on the table, would you like to be revived?" I wasn't expecting that one. "Um, yes, please," I responded to the nurse. She walked out of the room and it was just my husband and I left. I went into panic mode and began to tell him my wishes for our children and family through my tears. He asked me to stop, but it felt so necessary at the time. After all, it was a possibility. I don't know why the fear set in with surgery this time after I'd already survived 4 others, but after the nurse asked me that, part of me felt selfish -- like I was taking a risk I didn't need to take. I was having this surgery to improve my quality of life, but what if it resulted in the absolute worst?

I took a few deep breaths, and I said a prayer.

I was taken to anesthesia, where I knew it wouldn't be long before I knew my fate. Time would begin to warp and I'd wake up in recovery ... or I wouldn't.

Low and behold -- I woke up in recovery and made some desperate attempts at eye contact with a nurse. I was in pain and under heavy medications, but I was alive. The hospital was in overflow so I ended up being taken to a wing of the hospital where the nurses didn't typically tend to orthopedic patients. They were all great, however, and did their best.

I think I was so joyful to be out of surgery that it completely masked any pain I was having. I was exhausted, but not completely drained like I was with my first replacement in 2012. I walked up and down the hall using a walker the night of surgery. It was a slow walk, but it felt as normal a walk as I'd experienced in nearly five years.

They discharged me from the hospital the day after surgery, which was a huge relief. I didn't need a blood transfusion this time and I couldn't wait to get home to my own bed.

Since I've been home, I've had good days and some really bad days. There's been struggles with figuring out how to manage pain, get rest, keep my appetite and just get around the house to do very mundane things. Getting from one side of the house to the other is my equivalent of a marathon right now. I'm still using a walker to get around.

When I first came home, my right leg felt like it weighed 200 pounds. But just in the last day or two, it's gone back to a normal weight and I'm able to lift it with some ease. I can already feel my range of motion in my right leg improve.

Before surgery, my husband noticed that I was starting to walk and sit with my right foot turned inward. I'm certain I was doing that because when my hip rotated outward, it hurt so badly it felt like it could break off. I got used to turning it in to avoid the pain. Now that my hip can turn out, my entire right leg down to my toes are getting used to being able to turn outward again. The first few days, I had terrible pains in my leg as it adjusted, but that pain lessens a little each day.

I'd hoped to start PT by now but I haven't yet, because my doctor held off for a bit until I could get some strength back. I should begin in-home PT in the next few days.

Although I'm sure there will still be some tough days ahead, I feel like the worst of them are behind me. It's honestly difficult at this point to even imagine myself with the strength and balance to just walk normal. But each step on my left leg is a reminder of what's to come for my right.

For now, I just need to be patient with myself and let the healing continue.

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave and strong! God bless you!!!! You are not being selfish, by doing this you are giving your children a better version of you in that you will have more mobility to do things with them! I admire you for your strength and courage!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...