Livin' on a Prayer


Ok, so my last blog post was WAY overdue and this one is WAY, WAY, WAY overdue! Not that I think people are constantly refreshing my blog, anxiously awaiting my next post, but I'd hoped to keep a more regular "diary" of my journey.

Where do I even start? I think first, it's important to share that last Thursday, I had my second, and hopefully final surgery. My first set of surgeries was core decompression surgery to my right shoulder and left hip. My latest surgery was core decompression on my right hip. The point of these surgeries is to get my blood flowing back to my bones to heal them, since Avascular Necrosis caused them to deteriorate from a lack of blood supply.

Before surgery, I remember being purposefully more positive. I guess it was like a coach getting their team ready for the big game. I needed to pump myself up and believe that I could do this! And I do believe I can do this!

My surgery was scheduled on my 4th wedding anniversary. It surely wasn't our ideal anniversary. Six months earlier, we made plans to return to the mountain resort where we were married and have some professional photos taken of us. We really looked forward to that since our wedding photographer screwed up all of our photos from our big day. I could just picture us skiing and snowboarding down the mountain in our wedding clothes, holding hands. In my mind, it was perfection. But when my health and body took a turn for the worse, that was no longer an option. We were both happy to spend the day together. And I didn't have to stay overnight for this surgery. We actually had a good day, full of laughs. He's been so great for taking care of me and the children for this long. I couldn't imagine doing this without him. He's definitely in this for better or for worse.

After 6 weeks in a wheelchair and with my second surgery behind me, that means I'm halfway there! I can't tell you how good that feels. I'm more ready than ever to walk, run, drive, heck - I'll do jumping jacks regularly when given the opportunity. But more than anything - I can't wait to pick up my children and play with them. Oh, I have missed that so much. I've still found ways to play with them, but I'm certainly limited and it's just not the same.

Still, I'm just happy to be alive!

In the weeks leading up to my last surgery, I became frustrated with things -- the loss of my independence, doctors who didn't seem to care, or care enough, about what was happening to me and WHY it is was happening. But I'm happy to report that I met with a rheumatologist yesterday and he was a breath of fresh air! He seemed to think the same as me and he also seemed curiously stumped by my case. Curious is a good thing.

While examining me, he said, "You are a curious creature." That made me smile, because he was saying that I didn't make sense. And I don't. Me, having Avascular Necrosis at the age of 32 and with no history of causes or symptoms, makes no sense. He sent me to the nearest hospital, where they drew 17, yes 17, tubes of blood. I didn't care, because each test rules out possibilities or could possibly reveal something new.

What he didn't understand was, how I've managed to have three successful pregnancies, resulting in three healthy children. Several weeks ago, the possibility of having Lupus was brought up. But with Lupus, I likely would have suffered some miscarriages and revealed other symptoms that have never been the case with me.

I thought his eyes were going to bug out of his head when he asked, "When did your symptoms begin?" I replied, "September of 2011." "September of LAST YEAR?!" he asked/exclaimed.

Yes, my health had deteriorated THAT quickly and out of nowhere. And FINALLY someone seemed as alarmed by this as I was!!!

It's safe to say that his professionalism and concern put some wind back into my sails. I really believe that he is going to find out why this has happened to me.

I'm one week into recovery from Round 2 of surgery. When this all started, it was difficult to imagine ever getting this far. I wasn't sure how I would cope and I've had some rough days trying to piece it all together and to keep going at a pace that I am happy with.

After just two days (and a weekend) off, I'm back working. When I had a choice to take disability with my first and second surgeries, I ultimately decided not to. Just because my body isn't working, doesn't mean that my brain doesn't work. And if I couldn't exercise my body, I NEEDED to exercise my brain. I'm happy I made that decision. It's given me a reason to wake up and be productive and I'm content with what I've been able to accomplish.

After 5 more weeks, I should be back on my feet again. And though a FULL recovery will take 6 months, I look forward to getting out of my wheelchair and hopefully, by the grace of God, never getting back in it again.

I'm (a little over) halfway there. And I'm livin' on a lot of prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...